Chevron is building a $52 billion dollar natural gas plant in Australia. Named the Gorgon project, it is one of the largest natural gas projects in the world and the largest development in Australia. The development although having a monumental footprint, has been awarded a Commonwealth Department of Agriculture Biosecurity award. This award was given because of the impressive effort of Chevron in preserving Barrow Island, which is home to 24 species not know to occur anywhere else in the world. In addition they have designed Carbon Dioxide Injection Systems on site that will reduce greenhouse gas emission from the project by about 40 percent.
• 300 tera joules of gas per day
• 15.6 million tonnes of LNG annually
• Carbon Dioxide Injection, reducing CO2 by 40%
• Project received agriculture/ ecology protection award
• Long term energy contract with Synergy for 125 terajoules per day
• $40 Billion to Australia’s Gov’t revenue
• $64 billion to Australia’s GDP